The river is dealt, it seems innocuous, but then your opponent shows his hand. The pot is being shipped to his destination and you start getting hot because he just sucked out on you. This is the definition of a bad beat. You no longer care about anything and start raising it up.
The minutes turn to hours and you’re still sitting at the poker table. Losing an ever increasing amount of money. But you do not care because it is not fair that he sucked out on you. It is absurd.
You know why you’re reading this article. This happens to all of us and you are not an exception. I am glad you’re reading this because that makes you one of the few that have the guts to take a hold of this phenomenon. It is not easy to face yourself and improve in this way.
If you take simple steps then you will easily get your black belt in the art of tiltlessness. All I ask of you is perseverance.
It is easy to lose control in a poker game, especially when things aren’t going your way. And your mind can trick you, tell you that everything is alright when in fact you are donating money!
Here are 5 simple steps on how to minimize tilt:
- What Are You Afraid Of? – I’ll begin. I am afraid of losing money and not having enough. You see, I am a professional poker player and I make my living off of playing poker and if I lose I can’t live (harshly put). What are you afraid of? Why are you acting like a lunatic when you get bad beat a few times at the poker tables?
- Goals – Recently I have begun to visualize what my goal is before each session of poker. My first goal is to have fun while I play. I started poker because it was the most interesting game I had ever come across and I have no intentions of changing that! Is your goal to have fun or is it to be miserable? I’m guessing you want to have fun, right? That makes two of us. Identify what is standing in your way of fun. Maybe you are playing a limit that is too high or maybe you just need to re-arrange your priorities. I don’t know. Ultimately it is up to you to find your own way.
- Observation – When I started observing myself, everything changed. Progress became quicker and everything became clearer. I know many players who have reached a plateau in their game, because they deny their weaknesses. You have to observe yourself and find what it is you are doing wrong. What are you bad at? It is not meant for you to be hard on yourself. It is meant for you to be able to improve. You can also more easily avoid your weaknesses at the poker table if you know what they are.
- Quitting A Game – The best Bandarq players in the world know exactly what I am talking about. Quitting a game when you start playing bad is something you too have to learn. This will be useful for you even if you are playing for the fun of it. If you start playing bad that means something is affecting you. What is it? The bad beat or something else? Has it affected your amount of fun? If no then keep on playing! If you are an aspiring professional poker player then you have to quit whenever your game is slipping. This is absolutely crucial to your long-term success. If you just take one poker tip out of this article then let it be this one.
- Just Having Fun – It is easy for our minds to make everything complex. Wanting more and more. Sometimes it is hard to enjoy what we have. This is exactly you must remind